CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 19, 2008

"More than Just a Ticket to Heaven"
Soteriology
Rev. Everett L. Miller
Not long after I moved here, someone from a different church came by to ask me if I knew whether or not I was going to heaven if I was to die today. He didn’t ask me if I was lonely or guilt-ridden or in need of love or of a family of faith. He asked if I was to die would I go to heaven or hell. That turned my stomach, not because I’m unsure of what will happen to me after I die, but because I don’t think that is the question that needs to be asked by Christians. A while after that I was seated next to a person at an event and when she found out that we were from different denominations she said very kindly, “Well, it doesn’t matter what church you go to. It’s all about heaven, isn’t it.” Again, my stomach turned. Just a couple of weeks ago I was in Ponca City and I drove by a church sign that said, “Free Ticket to Heaven. Details Inside.” There went my stomach again. Then around the same time I received a mysterious postcard in the mail that was hand addressed to me and had a Ft. Worth postmark on it. I have no idea who sent it to me but on the back of it in bold were the words: How to Get to Heaven. Then there was a four or five step guide of isolated scripture quotes that showed how that might be achieved. Again, it turned my stomach.

You know, it’s not that the Scriptures don’t mention life after death, because the New Testament anyway, does mention it, but less often than most people think. It’s not that it isn’t a part of Christian faith, because it is. And it’s not that I don’t look forward to being within God’s love in all of its fullness after I die, because I do. It’s just that when I see the church using phrases like “Free Ticket to Heaven” and “How to Get to Heaven” as both the reason for turning to faith in Jesus Christ and the only goal of that faith, as I said earlier my stomach starts to turn because that doesn’t seem to be what is in the Bible and it certainly doesn’t seem to be what Jesus proclaimed. Punching your ticket to heaven? Is that really what salvation is all about?

Seeing as our sources of what salvation is are not always reliable, let us look at what the Bible, which is supposed to be our guide on matters of faith and ethics, says about salvation. In his letter to the Ephesians the Apostle Paul reminds his readers that “by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God—not the result of works, so that no one may boast.” Most Christians agree that you cannot earn salvation from God. Jesus Christ has accomplished the work of salvation. As Paul writes in Romans, “God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us.” The Holy Spirit has been at work in your life drawing you toward God, opening your heart to repentance and building up your faith. God has made the offer to you. None of us can gain or win or steal our own salvation from God, it is a gift of grace. But we have to decide whether or not we will accept that gift and live accordingly in gratitude for God’s grace. So it is clear that salvation is a gift from God. But again, what is salvation?

Unfortunately, at least in this part of the country anyway, salvation and going to heaven when you die have become synonymous, and it would seem, all inclusive. Oftentimes Scripture verses are quoted without any context whatsoever. This is sometimes the case with the Psalms. Well, in the Psalms salvation most often means a very literal salvation from death at the hands of an enemy army. Also, in the Old Testament salvation very often refers to God’s salvation of the Hebrews from slavery in Egypt. This is a very literal, practical way of looking at salvation. God has saved me from a very real situation in which I found myself. I have heard people say things like, “God saved me from alcoholism” or “God saved my marriage.” Yes! These are very real ways that God saves us in the here and now, and the here and now is a part of our salvation.

But when we get to the New Testament, salvation begins to take on a different tone. This is one of the big problems that Jesus faced. It seems that many people expected a very literal salvation from the Romans, which Jesus did not provide. In the gospels, however, salvation in connection with Jesus very often means forgiveness of sins, reconciliation with God and others, and inclusion in God’s family. Jesus provides rescue not simply from hell, but from isolation from God and others, and from selfishness, materialism, hypocrisy, individualism, and idolatry. When it comes to Jesus if we were to ask what does Jesus say about heaven then the answer would be “not much.” But if we ask what Jesus says about salvation then we could answer, “quite a bit.” As one book I read this week states, “It’s clear that [Jesus’] message was not really about how to get to heaven. It was about a way of transformation in this world and the Kingdom of God on earth.” As Matthew might say, the kingdom of heaven has broken in to our lives here on earth.

Jesus never asks anyone if they know where they will go if they die today. Jesus never offers anyone a free ticket to heaven. Jesus never says it’s all about getting to heaven. Jesus never gives instructions on how to get to heaven. That is not the core of his ministry. In John, the gospel from which we get a lot of our information about the importance of eternal life, Jesus says, “I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.” Jesus is speaking in the present tense. This life which he offers, this eternal life, this abundant life begins now.

When we speak of the salvation offered by Jesus Christ we cannot only talk about Jesus’ teachings, though. We must also talk about the cross, which is the center of our faith as Christians. As Paul writes in Galatians, “May I never boast of anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” As Christians we believe that through Jesus, God offered forgiveness of sins and the opportunity to come back into relationship with God. And as Christians we believe that this was achieved most fully through Jesus’ death on the cross. This is the belief that Paul calls, “a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to the Gentiles.” This is what people are talking about when they use a statement like, “We are saved by the blood of Jesus.” But again, Jesus didn’t die on the cross just so that we can go to heaven when we die. Jesus died on the cross because as Paul writes, “In Christ, God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them.” The salvation given through the cross starts now, today is the day of salvation.

The Apostle Paul often speaks of this subject by using the phrase, new creation, as in “So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: the old has passed away; see everything has become new!” Then just a little bit after he writes these words in 2 Corinthians he expresses the urgency of the call to become a new creation in Christ when he says, “See, now is the acceptable time; see, now is the day of salvation!” In other words, what are you waiting for? You could experience what it is like to be a new creation in Christ today. Then Paul goes on to list ways in which he and his partners in ministry have lived their lives as new creations in order to help others to come to the same place in their lives. He does not approach his readers with questions of their final, eternal destinies but with questions about what their life is like now and why they delay coming into relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
But in addition to this, we praise God because through Jesus’ resurrection we know that God’s salvation is so all-encompassing that we are not only saved in this life but that not even death can hold back God’s saving love, and there does come a time when we do start to think about what our salvation in Christ means for us after we die. At funerals we focus on those promises of eternal life that are in the Bible, because although it is not the only aspect of salvation or of Christian life, it is surely important, especially when you’ve lost a loved one. Then we do concentrate on passages like in 1 Thessalonians when Paul encourages his readers by saying that we will be with the Lord forever, or 1 Corinthians 15:54-56:
When this perishable body puts on imperishability, and this mortal body puts on immortality, then the saying that is written will be fulfilled: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"
Or Philippians 1:21-26:
For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which I prefer. I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.
Is salvation about a better life and a better world now? Yes. Is salvation about being freed into a life of reconciliation and peace and feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and the prisoner, and showing overwhelming hospitality to the stranger? Yes. Is salvation about being with God in a new way after we die? Yes. But salvation is not only about any one of these things, but all of them. Salvation is all of these things. Salvation is both now and not yet. But whatever salvation is, it is not just a ticket to heaven. That church might have needed a bigger sign but I wish that that church sign said, “Liberation. Wholeness. Homecoming. Forgiveness. Acceptance. Life Together. Purpose. God’s love that never ends. Details inside.”



0 comments: